06 June 2007

Remarks by Senator Fred Thompson

Thanks to Ala

"I look at congressional Democrats, and I see the only debate going on in Congress is what our surrender date will be," Thompson told about 400 GOP activists attending the state Republican Party's annual Commonwealth Gala dinner.

"I see Democratic leaders talking about how many seats this war is going to win them," he said.

"This is what passes as policy in today's Congress.""We've got to convince our friends around the world that this is a battle between the forces of civilization and the forces of evil."

"We're a little bit down right now, but we shouldn't be," he said."We're going to cut some new ground over the next year or so," he said.

"I think we're ready to say to the American people that we're ready to form a new coalition, that we're ready to turn the cynicism around."

"If a person craves power for the sake of power, if he craves the office for the sake of holding the office, he's got his priorities mixed up," Thompson said. "It's a desire to do something not to be something."

"I am married now, have two children at home. I spend a lot of time thinking about the kind of world that they're going to grow up in, spend a lot of time talking to my wife about that," he said. "And I think the country's different. I think we have challenges now that we didn't have in 2000."

No comments: